Student resources - Miami Arts & Design Education - M.A.D.E


Student Disability Services and Accomodations

All about Miami Arts & Design Education, our school All about Miami Arts & Design Education, our school



Information on services for students with disabilities.

An individual with a disability is defined as any person who “has a physical or mental impairment which substantially limits one or more major life activities (including walking, seeing, hearing, speaking, breathing, learning, working, caring for oneself, or performing manual tasks), has a record of such an impairment, or is regarded as having such an impairment.”

How do I qualify for services?

To be eligible for services you must provide written documentation from a qualified professional on the nature of the disability. Information should include test results and a report, functional limitations of the disability and medications, and academic recommendations. Once the documentation is received, it will be reviewed and discussed with you during an intake meeting. During the intake, appropriate accommodations will be determined.

What is a reasonable accommodation?

A reasonable accommodation is a modification or adjustment to a course, program, service, job, activity, or facility that enables a qualified individual with a disability to have an equal opportunity to attain the same level of performance or to enjoy equal benefits and privileges as are available to an individual without a disability. Some common academic accommodations include extended time on tests, use of peer note takers, and provision of sign language interpreters.

Where can I get more information on or help with Disability requests?

Please visit our Administrative Department for information, forms, questions, or concerns.

How do I register with Student Disability Services?

If you are interested in registering, please fill out the Disability Registration form available in the Administrative Office. Once the form has been received, you will be contacted by Administrative staff to schedule your initial appointment.

How do I know if I qualify for disability services?

If you are not sure if you qualify for disability services, you should fill out and submit the Disability registration form. Once the form has been received, you will be contacted by Administrative staff to schedule your initial appointment.

What services does Student Disability Services provide?

Some of the services that are provided by our office include alternative testing, interpreter and CART reporting, alternative format for textbooks, note taking assistance, assistive technology, and extra time on taking tests. When you meet with the Administrative staff during your intake meeting, the accommodations that are appropriate and reasonable for your disability will be determined.

Does M.A.D.E provide personal services?

M.A.D.E provides accommodations and services in the academic setting. Services related to daily living needs are the responsibility of the student. This includes ownership of equipment such as a wheelchair as well as services related to personal care.

What can I do if I encounter an accessibility issue on campus?

If an individual encounters a facility access barrier on campus, he/she should report it to the Director of Operations or the Executive Director immediately. Our Administrative Department has Physical Accessibility Issue forms available for students in need.

Stay Connected